Sunday, February 12, 2012

How To Make A Sugar Cookie - the Bargain Becky Way

So I'm obsessed with making sugar cookies.  This is in no way "bargain" related.  But need a post to tag my Pinterest pictures to.

This weekend, I made these:




They aren't great or anything, but if you want some tips to make your next sugar cookies with a little pop, here are some of my tips.  The #1 secret is toothpicks.  Everything can be done with a toothpick.  

First, my icing frosting is as follows:

1 cup confectioner's sugar (I weight it to be 120 grams)
1/4 tsp. Almond Extract
2 tsp. Corn Syrup
3 tsp. milk (give or take, depending on your consistency desired)
food coloring

You'll need to make a few batches of this recipe.  I usually do one batch per color.  4 batches decorates approximately 5-6 dozen cookies.  I use Wilton disposable decorator bags.  They sell these at Michaels and I usually buy a box of 100 ($19.99) with a 50% off coupon.  I use them a lot.  You can use tips, or you can just cut a small (very small) hole in the bottom of the bag.  Depends on how precise you want your cookies.  I did these without tips.  

First, I just pipe the heart and fill it.  This recipe will "go flat" and spread.  Make sure you don't go too close to the edge.  You need toothpicks if you want to add some pop.  Here are some "tricks".  I did these all really fast to take pictures - so apologies that they aren't very good:

The "Firecracker" look:


Outline the heart and fill.



Put a dab of color in the center and pipe a ring around it.




Take a toothpick and draw out from the center.  After you're done, it should look similar to this:



And that is what I call the "firework" look.  If you want a "cleaner" look, wipe off the toothpick between "swipes".

The "Swirl" Look:


Again, do your basic cookie.



Do a swiggle of a different color.



Take a toothpick and swirl it all around.  



You don't have to be "precise with your swiggles" and you can do more than one color.



This is very easy.

The "Rippled" Look:


Do your basic shape and pipe lines on it with a different color.



Take a toothpick and make straight lines, in alternating directions.  You're done.



You can get all fancy and do many lines and different colors.  Make some lines "fatter" than others.  Whatever you want!

The "Hearts" (I'm not good at this):  


Pipe your shape and drop drops with a different color.


Take a toothpick and start from the top and run it through the drop.  You can swirl it to one direction or not.  Again, I'm not good at these.  Not sure why.  Just have to keep practicing.  


And there you have it.  Some simple ways to make your sugar cookies a little more "elegant" or whatever you want to call them.  If you aren't fond of Almond taste, you can make this icing recipe with vanilla extract.  I think it's bland with Vanilla though.  

Visit my Boards on Pinterest for all my cookie decorating.  It's pretty much all the same - just different holidays.  





No comments: